Monday, October 7, 2013

Mexican Street Corn Muffins

Ingredients:
-1/2 C corn flour (I use Maseca, find it or similar near Hispanic foods at your grocery)
-1/2 C AP flour
-1/2 C Sour cream
-1/4 C Milk
-1/3 C Frozen corn
-1 egg
-2 TB softened butter
-2 TB honey
-1/4 C crumbled feta (or use an authentic Mexican cheese or parmesan)
-1-2 tsp adobo sauce (I used one but would not have minded more.  Alternatively, very finely mince a chipotle pepper and add as desired)
-2 TB extremely finely minced onion
-2 TB finely chopped fresh cilantro
-dash of salt (optional dash of garlic)
-2 tsp baking powder

Sheesh.  Talk about a lengthy ingredient list, I need a nap after typing it ;).  Preheat your oven to 350 and grease a muffin tin (this particular recipe makes 6 muffins of normal size so adjust it to your quantity needs).  I prefer dark nonstick everything.

Mix all the ingredients together in your Kitchenaid.  I am not really one to mix wet and dry separately unless I am doing something complex or particular, and these muffins are neither.  They are quite friendly as a matter of fact.

I used my large ice cream scoop (the kind that knocks batter off with the arm) to fill each muffin pan close to the brim.  These will raise but they are such a firm dough that they don't spread out and run everywhere. 

Bake for 25-30 minutes or until starting to turn golden on top.

Now, I know that feta is typically in Greek dishes but it happened to be all I had since I did not want to use the rest of my parmesan for these.  Luckily, the feta did not once complain that it was Greek ;).

I had seen a lot of recipes for Mexican street corn over the summer but never got around to trying it.  I have actually never grilled anything, now that I think about it.  I tend to stick with inside cooking.  If you want these to be a little more authentic, use mayo instead of sour cream.  I preferred using my fat free sour cream, and they turned out really moist and fantastic.

My cilantro has been a champ.  I bought some weeks ago and have kept it in a glass of water in my fridge, covered with a Ziploc bag.  I had seen this done for mint and it did not work at all for me but I went ahead and tried it with my cilantro anyway.  I am really glad that I did!

You see, chicken tortilla soup season is rapidly approaching and I LOVE to put fresh cilantro in my chicken tortilla soup.  It all cooks together all day in my crockpot and amazing deliciousness is waiting for me when I get back.  I think that I would really like these muffins with that soup, as it would be an explosion Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment