Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Maple Bacon Biscuits

Ingredients:
-2 1/3 C AP flour*
-1 C Milk
-Half stick of butter, soft
-1/4 C maple syrup, the real kind, not that pancake junk
-Dash of salt
-at LEAST 1/3 C cooked and crumbled bacon pieces
-1 TB baking powder
-Optional 2 Tb of maple syrup mixed with 2-4 TB  of powdered sugar for drizzling when they come out of the oven (recommended)

I only used 1/3 C or so of bacon pieces because I only had a part of a pack left.  I would have really liked these to have had more in them and quite frankly would have liked to double the amount.  But the taste was still good and the little bacon pieces here and there were a welcome find.

Preheat your oven to 400 and mix all the biscuit ingredients together.  I have an asterisk on the flour because if you want these to be more like rolled and cutout biscuits you will need to up the flour.  I never make rolled biscuits, so I would suggest adding 1/4 to 1/3 C at a time til you get what you want. 

I would also suggest baking these on parchment paper.  They don't stick at all but the bottoms do get a little more brown since there is all the syrupy goodness in these.  I baked mine for 18 minutes.  The bottoms were not overdone, but they were a little crispy.  It was actually pretty tasty, but if I had to make them again I think I would opt for parchment.  I also bake on dark nonstick, so keep that in mind.

Bake these guys at 400 for 18 minutes, remove, and immediately drizzle with the maple and sugar mix if you want to give them a pseudo glaze.  You could also add a lot of sugar and make an actual glaze if you wanted these to be more like scones.  I wanted them to be like yummy biscuits that I can devour for breakfast since I ran out of my chia bread today.  I have been on a bit of a carb binge...

I absolutely loved these and I am not sure I can go back to regular biscuits! If I had bacon gravy to put on top of these, which is the only kind of gravy I make, I do believe that I would have been well passed cloud nine, maybe more like cloud ninety. 

My best description for what these taste like, other than utterly fantastic, is way better than a McGriddle.  They have a great texture, first of all, and it kind of tastes like the entire McGriddle in a biscuit because the bacon is already in there.  Maybe I was just lucky, but I did even find little tiny pockets of maple syrup through my biscuits. I mean really, you just can't argue with these guys.

If a McG sat around and dreamed of being a rockstar, these biscuits would be that dream.

I am one very happy camper, though one that is out of bacon.  That travesty must be corrected soon.

Happy crafting! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment