Saturday, November 23, 2013

Shenanigiving, Part 2: Paleo Friendly Bacon Sweet Potato Casserole

Now I do not in any way shape or form claim to be a paleo expert, I don't eat paleo, but I do have friends that do and through them I come across recipes I like to adapt.  Through most of my online perusing, it seems maple syrup is paleo although I always see a notation of grade B.  Regardless, this recipe is delicious and I don't care if you are paleo eating or not, you should try it.

Per 2 servings you will need:
-1 large sweet potato, peeled boiled and mashed
-2 strips of bacon, cut in half and cooked until just under crispy
-1/4 C or less almond flour plus additional almond pieces or pecan pieces if you want to add those in
-1 TB real maple syrup

Preheat your oven to 350F.  Layer a buttered, greased, oiled, or whatever you prefer to use glass baking dish with sweet potato.  I did not even mix my sweet potato with anything I left it as is. 

Sprinkle a layer of almond flour on top, along with any larger nut pieces you may desire.  I would suggest cutting the bacon up into pieces and not leaving it as chunks but I was being really lazy during Shenanigiving.  I was tired!  Put the bacon pieces on and drizzle the entire dish with maple syrup.

Bake, covered, for about 30 minutes. 

For anyone just tuning in, yesterday I did the first-ever Shenanigiving meal which I am posting in a 3 part series.  I wanted to take some very typical foods or concepts of Thanksgiving and give them a little shenanigan spin.  Another sweet potato recipe had been passed along to me by a friend, and some of the concepts for that made me think this was possible.

I took my first bite and it was basically heaven.  Why are bacon and sweet potatoes not always together? These are an absolutely perfect pair! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment